Your home is your showcase, but sometimes a growing family, unexpected circumstances, or even outdated features call for a renovation or remodel. If you’re thinking about remodeling your home, make sure you have the best home remodeling company doing the work for you.
In order to find out which company is worth your time and money, start out by asking some essential legal, contract, and style questions before a contractor starts working on your home.
Begin with some legal questions in order to tell if a home contractor is current with their licenses and insurance policies. While not all states require that contractors be licensed, it is not wise to hire an unlicensed contractor. Insurance is also a must in order to protect homeowners from liability for any accidents on the job. All liability should be on the renovation contractor, not on you.
Pay close attention to these matters and ask for copies of documentation. A worthwhile home contractor should have these ready to show each prospective customer.
Once you know that the contractor is licensed and insured, consider asking some of the following questions:
- How long have you been in the home contracting business?
- Can you provide a list of references, preferably from previously satisfied customers?
- Who will pull the permits, the homeowner or the contractor? It is preferable that the contractor pulls the permits as they will be more familiar with the process and it will save you time.
Any worthwhile professional home contractor will answer these questions quickly and reassuringly.
Asking the right questions about the contract can help you choose the right remodeling contractor. Consider these:
- Can you provide a timeline for the project?
- How often do you finish projects on time? Be sure to confirm this answer with any of the references provided.
- For the home remodeling project, will there be a time and materials contract for any unexpected occurrences?
- Will the renovation contractor be on site at all times? If not, how often will he be on site? How often will the homeowner receive updates from the contractor?
- Is there a guarantee for the work done on the house remodeling. If so, what is it?
- How many projects are you currently working on?
Finally, if the contractor’s answers to your legal and contract questions check out, consider asking a few questions about style:
- Do you have any remodeling projects comparable to the one I’m looking for?
- As a home remodeling contractor, how do you stay on top of trends and current styles? Will you be able to consult extensively on these matters?
Asking good questions from the very start of a project saves everyone time and helps set expectations for the future. Best of all, you’re one step closer to the newly remodeled home you want.
If you’re looking to remodel your home in the Nashville, Tennessee area, the professional home remodeling team at Vesta Homes, LLC can answer all your questions. We also custom build new homes if you are in the market for one. Through years of experience, we understand what it takes to build a quality home, addition, or remodel from the bottom up that will stand the test of time.