Part of the American dream is to own your perfect home and grow old in it. Maybe you’re in a starter home, or living with your family, or even in an apartment. Your location at the moment is not important; the important thing is where you are headed. If you have dreams for your custom home, a professional contractor can help you take the next step toward turning those dreams into reality.
There are a few things to lock in place in order to get the ball rolling. Let’s take a look at some of the basic questions to ask when starting out on a custom home project.
Starting the Journey to Your Custom Home
Whether you’ve been thinking about your custom home for years or you’re just starting on the path, there are a few pieces you need to put in place before you can go any further. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Determine a budget for your custom home and remember to factor in the price of the land, fees and taxes, design and engineering fees, landscaping costs, home construction, design, furnishing, and any extras.
- What is the timeline you have in mind?
- What design would you like for your home? While you can use other home designs or mix and match aspects from a few, this part of the process is where you can take your own preferences and decide exactly what you want in your custom home. Keep in mind that there are plenty of design and architectural programs and books to help you with this process.
- What size do you want your custom home to be? If you envision a growing family, remember to keep this in mind when thinking about size.
- Are there any restrictions to bear in mind, such as no staircases?
- Are there any restrictions when it comes to home size? Remember to keep the size of your lot in mind.
- How many stories would you like your home to be?
- What particular rooms do you want in your home?
- Do you have a certain lifestyle that you want reflected in the architecture of your home?
- Do you want a fireplace in your home, or any other special features?
- Have you been approved for a home mortgage? If not, remember to look into this immediately.
Working with a General Contractor
When you have the basics down, it’s best to find a reputable general contractor with years of experience who can help you from the beginning. At Vesta Homes, LLC, we can put you in contact with the best architects, designers, and other vendors to help you determine exactly what you want from day one. We can also take a look at your lot and let you know whether it will work with your design. We’ll let you know if your land slopes or is too wet. This will save you time, money, and effort.
And remember that your ideas are always appreciated. When you meet with us, make sure to bring pictures of features you’re thinking about for your bedrooms, kitchens, bathrooms, homes offices, and more. Your dream home is a team effort.
If you are looking to build a custom home in the Nashville, Tennessee area, contact the professionals at Vesta Homes, LLC today. We’re happy to help you with any questions as you move toward your happily ever after.