Converting an attic from a dark storage area into a bright and beautiful living space is a great way to increase your home’s square footage. When done well, an attic conversion could even increase the overall value of your home. Attic rooms are usually the most appealing interiors in the whole house. Some people unconsciously correlate them with secret rooms, or even with large playgrounds. Either way, they have a special charm and a warm feeling.
Designing these spaces comes with many challenges, but with the help of a home remodeling contractor, you can get the attic remodel that is best for your family.
Attics are extremely versatile. Here are a few ideas that may be more appealing to you and to potential home buyers in the future.
- Master Bedroom Suite – The master bedroom usually takes up a large portion of your home. If your home is short of a true master, or if you are looking for an extra space separate from the other bedrooms, the attic is the perfect location. You can deck out your new master with an en suite to make it complete. In addition, you can use the lines of your home to complete the suite with beams for a true look of luxury.
- Secondary Bedroom – If your home is short on bedrooms and you are welcoming extra guests or new members of the household, you may want to consider turning the attic into another bedroom. This will undoubtedly add value to your home upon resale.
- Office Space – There is never enough room in a home for a true office, but making your attic into an office would be a good use of the space. In addition, with the roof being just above this space, you have the options of adding skylights for even more natural light. A professional contractor can tell you where the best areas for these features would be.
- Family Room – Does your home lack a space for your family to just hang out, or an extra space for the kids to gather? A family room for playing games or watching TV is an ideal use of attic space.
- Bathroom – Does an extra bathroom with skylights sound like a luxury your home could use? Then put your extra unused attic space to use.
- Rental Space – Let your attic remodeling project pay for itself. If you remodel the attic space to become a rental unit, you can earn a little extra income and see a return on your investment.
Things to Keep in Mind
- Make certain that you know the true measurements of your attic space. Your home renovation team will help you determine how much space you have to work with.
- Make sure to remodel the ceiling since it is the most significant characteristic of an attic given the incline. You can add beams or other features to add to its character.
- Play with the natural light and remember that light can change the atmosphere in any room.
- Build around the features of the attic and remember to showcase dormers and other unique aspects of the space.
If you’re looking for an experienced remodeling contractor in the Nashville, Tennessee area, contact Vesta Homes, LLC. We can help you custom remodel your attic into a space you’ll be proud of.