If you are in the market for a new custom built home, you may be thinking about how involved you’ll have to be in the project. Building a new home is time consuming and you probably lead a busy life. Having a team of trusted professionals led by a trusted home construction company can take some of the stress off. These professionals will lead the team of architects, the construction crew, and all designers to ensure that your vision for your new custom home comes to fruition.
Even with a trusted team of home builders, however, there are still a few things you need to do when setting out to build a new custom home.
Consider the following first steps. While all of these steps are important, some may not come in this order.
- Budget – Before you can lay the first brick, you have to know how much you can afford to spend on your new build. Speak with a financial accountant about what you can reasonably afford. New construction can come with hidden costs (such as running wiring for internet, etc.) so make sure that you have a contingency fund for these costs.
- Choose a Home Builder – You need a team of trusted experts to construct your home. You want to hire a professional residential home builder who can lead a team of designers, architects, and other needed contractors. Make sure that you have a good rapport with this person as they will be your main contact for staying up to date on how the project is going. The home builder may also be the project manager, or you might have one assigned to your project for updates.
- Contract Negotiation – Make sure that everything is in writing. This includes what types of materials you want used, what timeline targets you expect to meet, and your estimated day of completion. There should also be a clause for how unexpected events and expenses will be handled. Every possible event that could come up should be addressed in the contract. This protects all parties. If any changes to your home are made during the construction (upgrades, etc.), make sure to amend the contract.
The Fun Steps
After you get the initial steps out of the way, you can start the process of choosing what you want for your custom home. Your residential builder can help you with these steps if you need it.
- Pick Your Land – If you do not already have a plot of land picked out for your home, your custom home builder can recommend a realtor to help you find one in your target location. Your builder may have contacts with some realtors who you may not know. Choosing the land comes before choosing a floor plan. After this, things such as building codes, zoning laws, drainage issues, and more will have to be checked before you can decide if it is viable for a home site.
- Choosing a Home Plan – While some people choose stock floor plans, a custom designed home is built specifically for the location and family in mind. The lay of the land and the family’s needs should always be accounted for when a custom home is designed.
Choosing a builder is the most important part of your project. When looking for a custom designed home by local builders in the Nashville, Tennessee area, contact Vesta Homes, LLC. We work with a hand selected team of vendors, subcontractors, architects, and designers that come together to provide an elite product. If you are thinking about building a home or remodeling your existing home, please give us a call!