When looking for the best home remodeling contractor for your home renovation, it’s essential to find the right fit. As part of the process, be sure to look at several home remodeling companies before choosing one. Here are a few red flags to help you determine which contractors are not for you.
Money and Legal Issues
When it comes to finding the right home contractor to remodel your home, be sure to confirm that everything is legal and on the up and up. Sometimes, when something seems too good to be true, it is.
- The contractor says you don’t need a contract – Never let a renovation contractor start any home remodeling work without a thorough legal contract signed by both parties. You want all work, money issues, and materials stated in the contract. The contract should also state the way in which any unexpected expenses will be handled. You don’t want any surprises.
- Permits, Licenses, and Insurance – When you’re already going through the inconvenience and expense of remodeling your house, you don’t want the added inconvenience of having to pull permits. Any professional remodeling contractor will pull permits themselves. In addition, your home remodeling contractor should have the proper licenses and insurance to run their business. Your lender will want copies of these on file. If they do not have copies of these for you, do not allow them to do work on your home.
- Money Upfront – An irreputable contractor may ask for money up front or ask for cash only payment. You should avoid these home contractors.
There are a few other things that you should be leery of when deciding which home renovation contractor to hire to remodel your home.
- Reviews and References – Take a look at past reviews of other projects that the contractor has done. Are they positive or do they paint a picture that you don’t want to deal with? Also, are the references recent or are they older and out of date?
- High Pressure Sales Pitch – Do not allow a home remodeling company to pressure you into signing or agreeing with anything you’re not ready for. Any professional contractor will give you time to think about all of the information they provide to you.
- Wants to Use Material from Previous Projects – Some contractors will try to influence you to pick materials for your home remodeling project based on remaining materials from their previous jobs. This will not only put more money in the contractor’s pocket, but it also means that you probably won’t get the results you originally had in mind. Stay clear from this type of contractor.
- Hard to Contact – If a contractor is hard to contact, late for meetings, misses appointments, or does not respond to phone calls, avoid using them as a contractor. Poor communication skills before a job does not speak well for how they would communicate during your home renovation project.
While these are just a few of the most obvious red flags to avoid when hiring a home remodeling contractor, always use your best judgement. If you’re looking for a home renovation team in the Nashville, Tennessee area, look no further than the professionals at Vesta Home, LLC. We work with a hand selected team of vendors, subcontractors, architects, and designers that come together to provide an elite product. We understand that choosing a builder is the most important part of your project. If you are thinking about building a home or taking advantage of home remodeling services, please give us a call!